Advize Health offers our prayers and well wishes to those affected by the tragic events that transpired in Paris and all around the world earlier this week. We are deeply moved by the support that has been shown around the globe and would like to offer our readers with some personal safety and awareness tips.
Here are a few tips on how to stay safe, no matter where you are:
- Adopt a sense of situational awareness. Be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to report any suspicious behavior or objects to the authorities.
- If you are in an enclosed space, make it a habit to identify exits and routes to leave the building if a situation calls for evacuation.
- Trust your gut. Instincts are very important. If you feel as though something is wrong, remove yourself from the situation.
- If possible, avoid traveling alone.
- Travel on well-lit paths.
- Maintain a sense of calm. Do not panic if something goes wrong, this could escalate the situation. Remember that your body and mind are powerful tools in problem solving.
- At home or in a hotel, only answer the door if you are certain that your visitor belongs in your home or in your room. Ask to see credentials if being visited by plumbers, electricians, etc before opening the door.
- Plan with friends or family on how to get out of the city or where you live in case of an emergency. Listen to news and government outlets for information on evacuations, to make sure that it’s safer to leave rather than stay in your home.
- Before getting into your car, check the backseat to make sure no one has broken in or is waiting for you to get inside.
- Know your safe havens. When traveling, have the number for emergency services saved in your phone. Identify possible safe structures and barriers that could protect you from harm if you cannot exit the situation. It is important to know where safety is before you enter a situation, so you have more time to act if a problem occurs. Preparation is essential.