Late last month, Advize Health’s Managing Director, Jeanmarie Loria teamed up with Regine Bonneau of RB Advisory LLC to deliver a presentation on IT Inventory and standard security measures. This webinar was free to all attendees and included a discussion on the importance of IT Inventory, and the technologies available to help organizations maintain their tech assets.
Here’s what we, and the audience learned from this conversation.
- 43% of attendees did not know if their organization had an IT Inventory in place.
- 12% of attendees did not have any kind of active/current IT Inventory process in place.
- The cost of a single lost or stolen laptop can reach $1M, depending on the information within. Laptops can contain intellectual property, medical records, financial records, and other personally identifiable information (PII) – all of which can be illegally sold for an exorbitant amount.
- Creating and maintaining an IT Inventory should be a priority for organizations of all sizes and budgets. Software programs such as SolarWinds offer larger organizations with a full suite of IT Management and Monitoring tools.
Smaller organizations can utilize an Excel spreadsheet, or enlist the help of Advize Health.
- Password sharing is a popular and severe breach of compliance. Likewise, utilizing a universal password for all programs is not advisable. The KeePass Password Safe is a simple solution to help organizations securely manage multiple passwords.
- Having an IT Inventory can:
- Increase IT operational efficiency
- Enhance financial accountability
- Improve asset lifecycle management
- Identify unapproved/unlicensed software
- Identify outdated software
- The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) requires organizations to have proper knowledge and documentation of all
- If your server room looks like this, you may want to consider cleaning up your tech assets:
After you’ve developed an IT Inventory, you may want to consider risk assessments and guidance, HITRUST Self-Assessments, vulnerability scanning, penetration testing, and Chief Information Security Officer as a Service. If you’re interested in learning more, please feel free to Contact Us.
RB Advisory LLC is a boutique firm setting the pace in Governance, Risk, Compliance, and Cybersecurity. Check out their blog.