The year 2020 was ripe with unprecedented challenges. Between a global pandemic, civil unrest, and rampant socio-political uncertainty…there was a lot to deal with. The healthcare industry was thrust into the spotlight, first for its heroes on the frontlines, then for its billing practices. COVID-19 put medical documentation under a microscope, examining everything from cause of death to co-morbidities and chief complaints.
We were there for it all, and we’re willing to bet that you were too.
It wasn’t pretty, but we made it through. Not only did we make it through…we did our best and it was enough. This was a year of hard lessons that we will not soon forget – and we’re big proponents of education here at Advize Health. Let’s celebrate what we learned, and how we’re going to use that new knowledge to reach new heights in 2021.
We hoped that we helped you on your journey to higher knowledge. We produced a lot of content, on a number of topical subjects from COVID-19 to physical therapy fraud. In case you missed some of our blog posts this year, let us fill you in on the important stuff.
2020 At a Glance
- 64 articles
- 42 Fraud Spotlights
- 5 guest contributors
- Countless unscrupulous providers
Our Esteemed Guests
- Dan Morhaim, M.D., co-author of Preparing for A Better End: Expert Lessons on Death and Dying for Your and Your Loved Ones.
- Mark R. Brengelman, JD, MA, a health care law professional in Frankfort, Kentucky. For fifteen years, he was the Assistant Attorney General assigned as General Counsel and Prosecuting Attorney to the Kentucky Board of Physical Therapy. His e-mail is Mark@MarkRBrengelmanPLLC.attorney.
- Simon Peck, M.D., a physician who specializes in the investigation of Fraud Waste and Abuse in Domestic and International Health Funds.
- Peggy Glynn, a former OIG Field Agent from Buffalo, NY.
- Dino Kasdagly, a healthcare payer expert with decades of industry experience.
5 Articles That Got Your Attention
- Fraud Spotlight: The 3 Subpoenas of Healthcare Fraud – This article was written by one of our retired OIG agents and is a great primer on the 3 subpoenas involved in healthcare fraud cases. Read More.
- Rinse & Spit: Investigating Dental Fraud – Managing Director Jeanmarie Loria stepped in to discuss what happens when dental fraud gets personal in this exploration of dental fraud investigations. Read More.
- Fraud Spotlight: The Dirty Truth About Medical Supply Reuse & Medicare Fraud – Discover real-life cases about Medicare fraud that involve unclean instruments and even dirtier intentions. Read More.
- Fraud Spotlight: COVID-19 Fraud Scheme and Paradigm Shifts – This blog post discusses the impact of COVID-19 on the healthcare industry as it relates to CMS coding and claims regulations. Read More.
- Fraud Spotlight: You Can’t Cut Corners in Compliance – A good compliance plan could save providers hundreds, thousands, even millions of dollars…so why do so few have them? Read this cautionary tale, then start revising your own compliance plan for 2021. Read More.
There you have it. The Advize Health blog greatest hits. Thank you for sticking with us through this tumultuous year. We can’t wait to learn and grow with you even more in the coming year.
Advize Health LLC is a healthcare advisory and consulting company that provides a breadth of healthcare industry services in the payer, provider, and legal communities. Contact our former OIG and Fraud Investigation team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on our Fraud Spotlight series.