As the summer months draw near, you may be planning your next family BBQ, pool day, or outdoor adventure. Often times, we forget about our health and well-being during this time of excitement. While we may be having a blast with our friends and family, it is important that we take our health into consideration. With these tips and tricks, you will be able to enjoy your well-deserved summer while also keeping your body healthy and well-nourished.
- Stay Hydrated- If not hydrated properly, the human body can experience various symptoms of dehydration that will leave you feeling fatigued and disoriented. It is important that we fight the summer heat by hydrating throughout the day. When hydrating, try to remember the number 8. You should be drinking 8 ounces of water, 8 times a day. To spice things up, try adding a slice of fruit or mint to your ice cold beverage. H2O is your best friend!
- Wear Sunscreen- During the summer months, the average person spends about 80% of their time outside participating in various outdoor activities. Whether you are playing competitive sports, laying by the pool, or fishing on the lake, it is vital that you apply sunscreen every couple of hours. For maximum protection, apply sunscreen 30 minutes before sun exposure. Failure to protect yourself and your loved ones from extreme sun exposure can result in sunburn, sun poisoning, or skin cancer. We recommend sunscreens that are 30 SPF or higher.
- Wear Sunglasses- Not only should you protect your skin from harmful rays, but you should also protect your eyes. Extreme sun exposure to the eye can cause many negative effects such as cataracts. Wear sunglasses whenever you step outside, even on a cloudy day and avoid looking directly into the sun. Young children should be provided with shades that protect their eyes as well.
- Maintain a Healthy Diet- When we think of summer, we imagine family BBQ’s with greasy foods and sugary drinks, as well as alcoholic beverages. While you may think of these months as a time to be lax with your diet, you are hurting yourself more than you know. Summer foods and beverages are perfectly fine in moderation, but it is easy to overindulge. Make sure to cook dishes that are not only mouthwatering, but also help you to keep your healthy waistline. Check out how you can lighten up your favorite summer dishes.
- Stay Active- For those of you that like to spend most of your summer in the comfort of your own home while soaking up the AC, remember that it is important to get out for some fresh air! Don’t get sucked up in a Netflix House of Cards or Orange is the New Black binge. Make sure to take breaks and get moving. Whether you’re just walking around the block, working in your garden, or having a casual conversation with a friendly neighbor, make sure you are doing something productive. So get out there and breathe in that sweet summer air!